Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sexy Older Men, Unite!

I am getting tired of smooth-faced men in movies and on the television, as if all of us women out here were in our twenties and looking for amorous partners of the young persuasion. I'm not sure when this happened--when I stopped looking at gorgeous young men and turned my gaze, instead, to older men, preferably with a lot of gray on their heads, and with faces seamed with laughter and years of personal history. It is unutterably entrancing to see a man with a lived-in face: I can almost trace the lines with one finger: there, those are from your first divorce; there, those around your mouth are from laughing at your toddler going fishing in the toilet bowl one day; there, that dent in your chin is from clenching your teeth when you had a teenager driving on the freeway; and there, on your forehead, lines of concentration, from working long hours, studying, and just--showing up, day after day after day.
That's what I find sexy. A lived-in face and a lived-in body. And someone who remembers the same generation of music that I do, similar jokes, and foods that no longer grace the supermarket shelves, like cereals with Sergeant Preston decoder rings. It makes me feel at home.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, must be a genetically timed switch or something...thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why can't you call yourself middle-aged?

    ReplyDelete